White Iris

White Iris

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Saturday April 12th
Since our ship won’t be leaving from Budapest we took a boat trip today. First we had to get across the river to Pest. It was a nice long walk down the mountain to the chain bridge and across. We walked to the St Stephens Church - what an amazing structure! The bells rang while we were there, it was beautiful.
Before boarding the tour boat we stopped at McDonalds for a quick sandwich and use of the bathroom. Interesting thing here - you have to pay to use a bathroom, when you’re lucky enough to find one. I did find out by eating in an establishment you get a free trip to the bathroom if you take your receipt and it is within the hour. Otherwise you pay, and at McDonald’s two, not so sweet ladies guard the door and the money with their lives. I watched them pull a lady (American of course) out of the bathroom because she did not pay.
The boat trip was beautiful. As we sipped the wine we were given we listen to a story. A man’s voice was Buda and a ladies voice was Pest. As each spoke you looked to their side of the river. We had the opportunity to get off the boat at Margaret Island but chose not to do so as Brad was tired after our long walk down the mountain and we still had to get back up. On the return trip we listen to music and enjoyed a fruit drink.
Walking back across the Chain Bridge we decided to take the Funicular back up to the Castle District. What fun and how quick. We got to dinner so much sooner this way.
Brad had some tasty Goulash and I had Hungarian soup, although they called it Goulash soup. Just stay way from the paprika spread they give you for the bread - no bone marrow here! I also found out that Hurka is not found in the Castle District, not elegant! Oh well, I always knew I was plain ole ordinary folk!
Guess I better get to adding some pictures to the slide show. I’ve been advised by a very smart person, Jennifer of course, to just add pictures rather than do a whole new slide show. So look there from now on.

No comments: