White Iris

White Iris

Friday, April 25, 2008

Saturday April 19th
We had our suitcases outside the cabin door bright and early. The locks between the Danube and the Main River are closed for maintenance so today we have to ride the bus a few hours to Nuremberg. Sad to leave the ship a day early. It’s a dark rainy day, good day for a bus trip I suppose. My cold is getting worse so I’ve packed my pockets with tissues for the ride.
When we arrived, it was still raining and it seems we always have to walk a few blocks to “wherever” because the busses don’t fit down all the streets. We’re heading to lunch at another beirgarten type restaurant. After lunch we are taking the WWII Historic Tour.
The rain and the dismal day made this tour even more heart wrenching. We first went to the Documentation Centre where an interesting media program through the building gave you first hand feelings of Nazi propaganda and how it worked. This building is just one of many built as Nazi Party Rally Grounds. From there we went to the court house and into Hall600 where the Nuremberg Trials took place.
By then I was chilled to the bone; so I let Brad walk to the top of the year 1040 Palace, Kaiserberg. He took some great pictures even through the rain drops. The bus then took us back to the city centre where we saw some of the prettier sights of Nuremberg and turned the brass ring on the town’s statue gate for luck. We now had an hour of EOYO in the rain, during which I found a drug store and with Michael, our guides help, and purchased some cough drops and more tissues.
We then headed to the Nuremberg City Hotel, which is a very modern hotel (all glass & Ikea) for the night. I figured I’d take a short nap before we all met in a special dining room for dinner that night. Well … woke up the next morning with just enough time to change, get the suitcase out the door and have breakfast before heading to the airport.

No comments: